Saturday, May 21, 2011

City of Lights

My son arrived in Paris this morning on holiday. He had been there before. I was last there in 1978 when the French Franc was about six to the dollar. Today it takes $1.43 to buy a Euro - so turn back the clock.
My company put me up in the Hotel Meurice, a comfortable hostelry which had been the Nazi headquarters during WWII. Hitler wanted to torch Paris but fortunately his officer corps were enjoying the fruits of the city too much - and the wine - so they didn't want to spoil their temporary enjoyment. Speaking of nostalgia and turning back the clock Woody Allen's new movie "Midnight in Paris" opens in New York next week. The New York Times film review called it "a charming new film with a blend of whimsy and wisdom." And goes on to state "The good old days are so alluring because we were not around." I am marking my calendar as a "must see." Ah, Paris in the Spring!
tjs

No comments:

Post a Comment