Friday, May 20, 2011

Longevity

The dateline is somewhere in the United Kingdom. It remarks on the passing of the last British veteran of WW I at age 110. When asked his secret for a long life he said "I have a bowl of porridge every morning and an occasional bit of chocolate and some mango juice." Now I have a bowl of oatmeal every morning and my pharmacist says eat only dark chocolate but I can't conceive of hanging around that long. Right now it takes four twenty- somethings to provide for my monthly Social Security check so it would be very selfish of me to keep blogging and spending for another thirty years. But this old chap was born in the year 1901 - think of what he has witnessed - the advent of the horseless carriage, the airplane, the abdication of his King, the London blitz, the Dunkirk evacuation, DDay, losing his shillings and guineas, the Beatles and a man on the moon. He should have a wealth of stories to tell St. Peter. But with all the advances to date the Brits still drive on the left and wrap their fish and chips in yesterday's newspaper.
tjs
Next - Congressional Hearings III (Mon.)

No comments:

Post a Comment