Friday, May 13, 2011

Poet's Corner

I heard this anonymous ditty many years ago and while it certainly does not qualify as "elocution" I did sense several messages from it.
"One evening in October when I was far from sober - and lugging home a load with manly pride -
why my feet began to stutter - so I sat down in the gutter - and a pig came up and sat down by my side.
I remarked that it's fair weather when good fellows get together - til a lady passing by was heard to say -"You can tell a man who boozes - by the playmates that he chooses' - and the pig got up and slowly walked away."
In those few lines I read snobbery, intolerance, humiliation, an aversion to pork and the evils of drink.
Hope I haven't wasted your time.
tjs
Next - Epitaphs III

1 comment:

  1. Funny post. Keep up the good work!
    I have an aversion to pork, but I might have to get over it if I'm going to eat anything in Spain!

    ReplyDelete