Monday, May 2, 2011

Thoughts at Random

I read recently where a certain school district was teaching fifth graders the game of bridge. The theory was counting card value would improve their math - playing with a partner would stress teamwork - and getting them away from a screen would improve their social graces. What a marvelous idea! A trifecta! When I was learning "beginners bridge" I happened to be on an ocean cruise and met three women of a certain age who were seeking a fourth for a bridge game. I quickly found I was in over my head. They were very gracious and I didn't get kicked under the table but I swallowed a large dose of humility. As to the fifth grade class the teacher had to explain that a bid of NO TRUMP was not a political statement.
tjs
Next - Vetting the Veep

No comments:

Post a Comment