Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Waiter! Waiter!

My son and his cousins all waited on table to garner tips to defray costs of education. It was a marvelous experience to improve their people skills and social graces. When I was in the work force a group of us went to lunch at a steak house in the Dock Street area of Philadelphia. It was the first time for my friend Frank. The waiters were mostly old and crochety. The menu included "soup du jour". Frank asked what was the soup today. The waiter answered "Same as it was yesterday." We had to hold our friend in his seat. When the U.S.Lines passenger ships were competing with Britain's Cunard Line, some trans-atlantic passengers had both experiences. One passenger offered that the difference in service between the two was that on the American Flag liner the table steward was in your conversation. This would never happen with the Brits. Then there is the old vaudeville joke - the diner asks "Waiter, what is this fly doing in my soup?" Waiter says "I think he's doing the backstroke."  In Manhattan many of the waiters are unemployed actors. I'm waiting for one to say "You talkin' to me?" But I do have an empathy for these hustling folks and as a Moderate Conservative I try to tip Liberally.
tjs
Next - Jury Duty

No comments:

Post a Comment