Friday, September 12, 2014

By the Numbers


Derek Jeter wears number 2 on his Yankee uniform jersey and it is the only single digit number still active for their team - all the others from 1 thru 9 have been retired as his surely will be when he retires after this season.
Golf great Arnold Palmer celebrated his 85th birthday this week two months ahead of me. He is a cancer survivor and on his first day back on the golf course, as he addressed his ball on the tee he said "It is better to be looking down at the grass than to be looking up at it."
In a few months I will turn 85 and if I really turned it would be 58 but that was a time that my employer had recently declared bankruptcy and I would not want to repeat that era. But number 58 is worn by the Phillies closing pitcher, whom my wife taught in high school in Jacksonville. Closing pitchers are noted for their eccentricities and this fellow refers to himself in the third person as "cinco ocho" - but my wife says she didn't teach him Spanish.
tjs

No comments:

Post a Comment