Thursday, October 30, 2014

Trick or Treat

Today we are off to Cape May for some bird watching and porch sitting. A few facebook postings this week mentioned the feeling of ghostly appearances in some of the older buildings there which the B&B folks never mention. But I doubt if such sightings will keep the tricksters off the street. As for the treaters, many parents are keeping their kids on short leashes which is vastly different from the days of my youth. During WWII all luxuries were in short supply but Mr. Spreckley on our street was Sales Manager for Wrigley Chewing Gum. As the word spread we costumed kids filled his living room and parlor. But there was a quid pro quo or "carrot and stick". He and his wife made each of us perform - sing or dance or recite. The best I could do was say the Lord's Prayer in Gaelic taught to me phonetically by my Irish grandmother. Anything to get that spearmint "stick".
tjs

2 comments:

  1. The world has changed so much, since my childhood. We try to bring it back with our neighbor's kids, on Halloween.

    ReplyDelete