Thursday, October 9, 2014

The Demise of Racing


The bugler blew taps at the Suffolk Downs Race Track last Saturday to mark the end of racing forever at this historic oval opened in 1935. There was a mist in the air and a muddy track to mark the occasion. The great SEABISCUIT had run there in 1937 and the Beatles performed there in the 1960s. Horseplayers come from all walks of life and many are loners. When I lived in Phladelphia I visited a friend in New York and together we went out to Aqueduct Race Course in Queens. In a crowd of 40,000 improvers of the breed I spotted my neighbor from Philadelphia. When I related this coincidence to my friend's father who was a police lieutenant in the NYPD, he asked if said neighbor was a banker. I replied "Yes, how did you know?" He said bankers never visit the track in their hometown. Ah, the policeman's mind at work!
tjs

No comments:

Post a Comment