Thursday, May 19, 2011

Jury Duty

My wife has been summoned for jury duty in the Federal Courthouse. I think she will make an excellent juror. As the TV network advertises she is "fair and balanced" coupled with sensitivity, curiosity and a rare ability to listen - and perhaps even play the devil's advocate. Her second favorite movie (after CASABLANCA) is TWELVE ANGRY MEN which showcases Henry Fonda at his best. When teaching her high schoolers a Sociology class she often showed this classic black and white presentation and always the students were riveted to the action and chemistry taking place in a jury room. When I lived in New Jersey I was summoned to serve in Elizabeth, the county seat of Union County. As I was still in the work force I showed up wearing a three piece suit and when the defense counsel saw my vest he rejected me - it's called a "preemptive challenge" - but a rejection no less. I tried to perform my duty as a citizen but I knew my in-box would be backing up. Oh, and the going per diem rate today is forty dollars plus mileage which helps to replenish the petty cash drawer. But bring your knitting or a good book as the scales of justice move very slowly and sometimes you can even hear that big clock on the wall ticking.
 tjs
Next - Longevity

2 comments: