Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Poverty

Recently, I was "panhandled" at a mini-mall in Jacksonville, Florida. The young woman caught me off guard in such a venue as I would have expected such an approach in a more urban area. She did not appear to be a druggie or a street walker - said she was down on her luck - and had a look of sadness on her face. I came face to face with poverty - outside my gated community walls. Then the mail arrived with the Rescue Mission stating they could feed a homeless person for two dollars. With Christmas approaching the Salvation Army bell ringers were out in force. (I really miss their trombones and tubas)
It has been a difficult year for many of our friends and neighbors. Let's keep them in mind.
tjs
Next - The Big "U" revisited.

No comments:

Post a Comment