Friday, January 31, 2014

Chinese New Year


Today, January 31, 2014 begins the Chinese Year of the Horse. So while the equine animal is welcome in Chinatown, not so on Central Park South where the new mayor of New York is trying to ban the horse drawn carriages so popular with tourists and visitors. Next he may take aim on the stable ponies at Aqueduct and Belmont Park which would cause a mutiny in the ranks. These horse drawn carriages are also in evidence in Cape May N.J. and at the Independence National Park in Philadelphia. I often walked past them when I worked in Philly and if I ventured too close I swear old Dobbin went for my straw hat. Ah, but the pungent smell of fresh manure made you feel like you were back on the farm. So, as they sang back at the Camp Town "bet my money on da bobtail nag, somebody bet on da bay."
tjs

No comments:

Post a Comment