Thursday, January 2, 2014

Christmas Music


While visiting Dewey Beach in Delaware many summers ago, we were searching for a friend's cottage. It was a very rustic beach area that used to permit bonfires at night and was popular with LBJ's daughters and others from the D.C. area. We came upon a fellow sporting a three day beard strumming his guitar on his cottage porch and we asked him directions. Upon reaching our destination we were introduced to a Mrs. Byrd, a neighbor and presently the bearded gent came thru the doorway and I shook hands with Charlie Byrd whose LPs I had at home. As I recall he had a very soft handshake similar to a surgeon. While I do not foist my music tastes on anyone, I will tell you that the CD that got the most play in our household this Christmas was "The Charlie Byrd Christmas Album" - recorded in 1982 and performed solo ala Andres Segovia with whom he studied. Charlie played in a few D.C. clubs but his regular haunt was the Maryland Inn in Annapolis, Md. - the city where he lived from 1973 until his death in 1999. (Sorry for the name dropping)
tjs

No comments:

Post a Comment