Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Auld Acquaintance


I have a friend who thinks New Year's Eve is for amateurs. He always stays home and when he lived in Manila, Philippines, he said all the people ran thru the streets shooting off carbines. I never liked to go out on that evening either but I do like to watch the "BALL" come down in Times Square, New York City. Before there was Anderson Cooper and his potty-mouthed partner, and before there was an ever youthful Dick Clark, there was an erudite commentator named Ben Grauer who was a famous NBC announcer who worked the countdown alone wearing a black overcoat and a black Homburg hat, and never at a loss for words. He called eleven "Eves" between 1951 and 1969 and was a fixture at the time as was Guy Lombardo playing the Roosevelt Grill and later the Waldorf Astoria. Somehow the current crowd don't cut it for me. For Auld Lang Syne, my friends. Happy New Year.
tjs

No comments:

Post a Comment