Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The Final Voyage


I recently received a survey from a local funeral parlor who had handled several burials of relatives. They were very considerate to not have called on the phone. Some of the questions were straightforward: age, sex, marital status and did I have a burial plot.  Then they asked how much I expected to pay for a burial. I paused - as Jack Benny would - then I threw a number at them -  approximately fifteen grand plus the cost of the after party. They asked if any special wishes. I said you can dispense with the bagpiper as that eerie tone would wake up the dead. And lay on your best embalmer to eliminate the wrinkles - and certainly no two day Irish wake. Lastly, they are sending me a kit and I can't wait to see its contents. Back in the real world, a friend of mine had the misfortune to die in New Jersey in the middle of storm Sandy just before Halloween 2012. They couldn't get a burial permit and after several days the family had him cremated - which was not his wish. Timing is everything.
tjs

No comments:

Post a Comment