Friday, December 6, 2013

Strange Bedfellows


During a slow Tuesday at the office, my cousin John thought he could squeeze in eighteen holes at the local club. He knew, being a "onesome" that the club pro or starter would have to match him with other players. Upon arrival he found that the only golfer waiting to play was an older fellow and the starter said "You are it - and off you go." For the first three holes the old chap held his own in silence. At the fourth John's drive strayed and landed behind a pine tree obstructing his line to the green. While he was pondering his options - boldness or prudence - the senior finally spoke up. He said "When I was your age I could clear that tree with a seven iron." John stared at him as he grabbed the seven from his bag. He hit the ball clean but it caught the top of the pine tree and fell into the rough. John was livid and turned on the old man - "I thought you said you cleared that tree with a seven." The old fellow replied 'Aye, Johnny, but when I was your age that tree was only six feet tall." To his credit John did not hurl his seven into the nearby pond.
tjs
(Forgive me if I have repeated this story - we seniors consider it a do-over or a Mulligan.)

No comments:

Post a Comment