Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Attention, Please!


The parish we have joined since returning to Philadelphia area is staffed by Augustinian Fathers who have just held their global convocation at Villanova.  Some years ago I met an old Augustinian retreat master, Fr. John S., who used to give spiritual retreats to college sophomores at Villanova and Merrimac Universities - before they were coed. One spring day, with the windows open, he faced a group of fidgety nineteen year old, who wanted to be anywhere but there. Fr. John knew he could never hold their attention in that atmosphere so he threw away his script. He then announced that today we would discuss COURTSHIP! All heads went up as he recited the following:
-Last night I held your little hand - so thrilled was I, I thought I'd die - my blood ran hot and then ran cold - of little hands one loves to hold - no other hand in all the world could greater solace bring - than the little hand I held last night - FOUR ACES AND A KING.
tjs

No comments:

Post a Comment