Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The Breeding Shed


Over the years of visiting race tracks in New Jersey and New York I always thought that all horse players should be interested in the improvement of the breed. This Saturday the third jewel in the Triple Crown will be contested at Belmont Park. The trainer of the favorite is a 77 year old from California visiting New York for the first time. In an interview this week he expounded on the subject of thorobred horse breeding. He started at the bottom preparing mares for breeding. "First you have to go to the teaser" he said. "The teaser is a horse that teases the mares when they are in heat but doesn't breed with them." I'm glad he enlightened me as I had always thought that the teaser was a female. I realize that this may be TMI for some of you but if you feel lucky his horse is CALIFORNIA CHROME.  As Stephen Foster wrote "I bet my money on the bobtail nag, somebody bet on de bay."
tjs

No comments:

Post a Comment