Friday, November 14, 2014

Antigua


N.Y. Times travel section recently featured this lovely British flavored island -Antigua. The last time I visited there was to join the schooner TIKI for a down island cruise. The headboat charter business was flagging and Capt. Ted Charles called me in New York and said 'You're in the shipping business and I am thinking of carrying cargo down island on TIKI - how much should I charge?" Finally, to establish his reputation, he induced a broker to entrust him with 200 cases of rum and when I arrived he was stowing the spirits below deck in the staterooms. I could hear the cargo creaking in the next room. I had to leave him in Martinique as a prospective buyer came aboard who I hoped would save TIKI from her otherwise fate.
tjs

No comments:

Post a Comment