Thursday, November 20, 2014

...Nor heat nor gloom of night.

The above is a segment of the Postman's creed.  When I was a senior in high school the vocational director enabled me to obtain temporary work in the General Post Office  in Philadelphia during the Christmas holidays. This required me taking three subway/trolleys to and from and an hour sitting on the bench before we "temps" were put on the time clock and stood behind stacks of mail to be sorted by street and letter carrier's route. If you were lucky you may have found a stand to lean against. The mail was mostly Xmas cards with much illegible handwriting which slowed down the sorting. Philadelphia was laid out in a grid form and I did learn many of the streets but the following night I would be working on a different neighborhood. Breaks were brief and they deliberately kept the rest rooms cold to discourage loitering. A week of this was back-breaking and monotonous but I was seventeen and it was Christmas.
tjs

No comments:

Post a Comment