Saturday, January 8, 2011

Alphabetically Speaking

When I was District Sales Mgr. for USLines in Philadelphia early 1970s I decided to give token gifts to my top clients. The company had purchased silk neckties with the USL monogram which was tastefully done and the customers admired same. One of my friendly competitors in the Far East Trade was agent for the then Japanese Line - Yamashita Shinnahon Line - and when he heard of my gift giving he purchased similar neckwear from Yves St. Laurent - which had the monogram YSL - which coincided with his shipping line monogram and gave them to some of the same clients as I had. I commended him on his cleverness. Fast forward twenty years and I am now in Jacksonville with a different carrier. It was a common custom for transportation companies to hire professional athletes to glad hand customers, play some golf and cultivate the clientele. This company had hired a former member of the Oakland Raiders, a burly fellow, played fullback and had two Super Bowl Rings - one on each hand to keep him on an even keel - named Pete B. I didn't see much of Pete as he was on the road most of the time. His wardrobe included custom made silk shirts cut to his ample body torso. One day he appeared in my cubicle and I noticed his shirts were monogrammed - not with PB - but YSL.
I reached back twenty years, leaped up and shouted "Yamashita Shinnahon" - must have sounded like a battle cry -  but my Polish friend from Wisconsin had no idea what I was talking about. When he semi-retired I sent him the following message "Pete, I'm glad I met you here and not at the line of scrimmage."
tjs
Next - What's in a Name

No comments:

Post a Comment