Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Palmer Method

I read recently that the State of Indiana plans to discontinue teaching cursive writing in their schools. Instead they are talking about "keyboard proficiency" whatever that is. As a disclaimer I must admit that I print more than I write. But I keep thinking of all those Irish  monks spending hours writing the great books in their longhand scroll. And now nobody writes anymore. We are all texting and tweeting it seems. That is BTW IMO of course!  I think I learned cursive using the "Palmer Method" in third grade.
 We  - seventy children - one nun - progressed from crayons to pencils and at last INK. This was before ballpoints and we had straight pens with nibs and real ink in little inkwells depressed in a front corner of the little desk secured to the floor. If the girl in front of you wore pigtails she was in danger of getting dipped in the inkwell - which I would never do. I could never understand later why they trusted a group of nine year olds with pointed instruments and ever present temptation. It was messy and you never had enough blotters - but learn we did and that nun must be in heaven now. So as I blog along I will practice my "keyboard proficiency."
tjs
Next - Windows

1 comment: