Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Driver Education


About sixty years ago I applied for my first learner's permit/driver's license in Pennsylvania. The tests were administered by the State Police who were hard as nails. Moreover, I had to do my "learning" on a "stick shift" i.e. manual transmission auto - and I stalled a lot - and I flunked the first time around. The operator's manual dictated that you should place your hands on the steering wheel in the ten o'clock/four o'clock positions to facilitate turning. But today's generation never learned to tell time when the big hand was on ten and the little hand was on four. In this digital age I wonder what the driver's ed people tell the applicants who never heard of a ten o'clock position. Probably, their admonitions would now include: no cellphone use or texting while driving, keep the coffee cup in its receptacle, etc. And before we had automatic turn signals we used our hands to signal a turn - but no fingers, please. Now we have GPS to tell us when and where to turn and soon with robots driving for us we can have both hands - or thumbs - free to turn the kindle pages.
tjs
Next - TBA

No comments:

Post a Comment