Thursday, May 23, 2013

National Maritime Day


Yesterday, May 22nd, was designated as National Maritime Day when we honor the men and women who "go down to the sea in ships." As a young intern I had the privilege of meeting many of these mariners - some who had gone thru WWII - braved torpedoes in slow moving convoys - and several who had been captured and interned by the Japanese. The  sailors of the U.S. Merchant Marine were not included in the original G.I. Bill of Rights after WWII. With the U.S. Flag merchant fleet depleted many of these sailors are now "on the beach". Today we salute them all.

As the Googler tells me I am on the cusp of 600 postings, I am pausing for a spell in Cape May. Hope to return to the keyboard in June if I have anything to offer. Thanks for reading me. As Groucho used to say "I really must be going."
tjs

No comments:

Post a Comment