Monday, November 4, 2013

'Tis the Season


With Christmas merchandise popping up all over already it appears we are in for a long holiday season culminating with singing carols on Christmas Eve. One of my favorites is a Welsh carol dating to 1866 which lyrics go as follows:
-Deck the hall with boughs of holly - Fa la la la la la la la la.
-'Tis the season to be jolly - Fa la la la la la la la la.
-Don we now our gay apparel - troll the ancient Christmas carol - Fa la la la la la la la la.

Now comes Hallmark changing my apparel to "fun" - after 150 years they want to alter gaiety to just "fun". Now the Salvation Army will have to change all their songbooks as I have to change my apparel. As Scrooge would say "Humbug!" We already have "Xmas" and the suggestion of a "Holiday" Tree and even Kramer's (of Seinfeld) invention of "The Festivus for the rest of us" with his aluminum tree/pole. I really wish they would stop tampering with tradition.
tjs

No comments:

Post a Comment