Friday, November 1, 2013

Fall Back


This Sunday we "Fall Back" and regain that hour we lost last spring. I have always thought that Daylight Saving Time lasted too long. Now we have the chore of changing all the wall clocks, kitchen appliance clocks, radio clocks and nobody alerts the small animals crossing the road that a new dawn is dawning. Armadillos are particularly slow. My personal hiccup occurred on the Spring Forward end some years ago when I planned my annual exodus from cold Philadelphia to the sunny Caribbean. PanAm had only one flight from PHL daily at 10AM - My travel agent - also representing the carrier - anticipating the change over on the first Sunday in March - issued me a paper ticket for an 11AM departure.  But when I arrived at the airport with my baggage and tennis racquet, the plane was gone as PanAm had not changed their timetable. The agent was closing shop to go home and didn't want to see me standing there. He offered that there was a flight from New York JFK that afternoon, did I want to rebook. I said yes - how do I get to JFK? He suggested I take the Pennsylvania Railroad whereupon I demurred quietly - after all it was Sunday morning. With my protest ringing in his ear he began working the phones and found me a shuttle flight to JFK leaving shortly - connections made - and I arrived at my destination in time for the vertical sunset followed by the green flash - and a story for the cocktail crowd.
tjs

No comments:

Post a Comment