Thursday, October 31, 2013

Old Cape May


I spent a long weekend in Cape May at the southern tip of New Jersey to check on the bird watchers as this is the season and the Cape is a flyover location. There were plenty of watchers but most of the birds had gone and were being welcomed down in Mexico. I didn't see even one double breasted seersucker. But the Blue Pig Cafe had a roaring fire going and they were serving a smooth chardonnay with a St. Francis label so I had a tasting in honor of the Pope. Cape May is a small town with only one gas station and N.J. is a full service operation. The attendant apologized for keeping me waiting - almost floored me. I was also pleasantly surprised that the price of regular was only $3.18 per gallon having paid $3.43 in the city. He blamed the government shutdown when no one was driving to work and inventories built up. One can see the rippling effect right down to the gas pump.
tjs

No comments:

Post a Comment