Friday, April 4, 2014

The Road to Nowhere


Have you seen the TV ad where the speedy driver in the sleek sedan arrives at checkpoints and destination seconds before the GPS lady's instruction? It's supposed to be an ad for automobiles. My only experience with GPS (Global Positioning System) was renting a car at the Philadelphia airport that was equipped with this marvel. The female voice was calm and deliberate until I deviated from her instructions and I could then detect a quicker pace to her voice as she tried vainly to get me back on her route. In this connection I read recently about the town of Agloe, New York purportedly to be in the Catskills at the intersection of Route 206 and Morton Hill Road just north of the town of Roscoe. However, Agloe is a fictitious community created by two map makers in the 1930s using an anagram of their initials. They placed it at the above location as a copyright trap. Sure enough ESSO included it in their road maps and later so did Rand McNally (since deleted in the 1990s) I can just hear the GPS lady demanding I declare an alternate destination.
tjs

No comments:

Post a Comment