Tuesday, July 7, 2015

The Front Porch

I just came across an ad for the Professional Porch Sitters Union whose founder describes it  as "the interface between the private world and your community." Front porches had been dropping in popularity but are now making a comeback. The front porch is a way of thinking about the world. Had I known about the existence of this group I would have become a charter member. Our family home in Cape May is two blocks from the beach and when the wind and tide is right you can hear the roar of the surf which is better than listening to the roar of a dozen Harleys. Our front porch has recently been reinforced to accommodate the group gatherings as we contemplate our navels and watch the grass grow. Aficionados ask "Would you like to come over and do a little porching?"
tjs

2 comments:

  1. Allow me to disagree, sir! Nothing is better than the roar of any number of Harleys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walter G. Sandell, Jr.June 29, 2019 at 9:43 AM

    I vastly prefer the Roar of the Ocean. I would ban Harleys.

    ReplyDelete