Monday, August 24, 2015

Roll Tide

Donald Trump held a rally last week in Alabama before 20,000 people. I once made a presentation in Alabama before fifteen people. I was then working in New York and had put together a slide presentation on Containerization, when our salesman down south called me. He was on the hook to provide a speaker for his Traffic Club and could I come down with my dog and pony show and bail him out. Since I had never been south of the Mason-Dixon Line I asked if he had any suggestions. He said not to wear a three piece suit - good advice. So I took my black box and flew down to Tuscaloosa, Alabama where his group was meeting on the University of Alabama campus. This was Bear Bryant country and there was a lifelike statue of the Bear as we entered the grounds. As this Yankee boy frettted how I was going to warm up this "crowd" there appeared a tall blond lady wearing a crimson blazer who was to introduce me. She leaned into the microphone and yelled "Let's have a ROLL TIDE!" The sparse crowd went wild, I did my drill and headed for the airport. If Trump ever returns there I suggest he wear something red besides that cap.
tjs

No comments:

Post a Comment