Friday, August 14, 2015

State Fair

I-o-way, I-o-way, that's where the tall corn grows! This is the week of the Iowa State Fair and all the presidential candidates are attending to pay homage. Donald Trump is arriving via helicopter the rotor blades of which probably will suck out the air from the midway. The signature highlights of the week will be the "soapbox" speeches which are rather free wheeling - recall this was the scene where Mitt Romney was heckled four years ago. I have never visited Iowa but I came close when I attended a summer picnic in downstate Peoria, Illinois hosted by Caterpillar. It was August, it was hot and I had all I could do to keep the flies off the corn on the cob. So pity the poor candidates with the national election still fourteen months away.
tjs

No comments:

Post a Comment