Monday, July 9, 2018

Elocution


My formative years were shaped and influenced by the Christian Brothers. In twelfth grade assembly we were scheduled to hold an elocution contest - enrollment was 800 - all boys. All the drama fellows signed up but it was not my cup of tea. But Brother Felix John, math teacher, had other ideas and "urged" me to try out - said he would rehearse me each day after school. He wasn't a man you said "no" to. So I proceeded to memorize Marc Antony's locution at Caesar's funeral and had it down pat. As the "day" approached I was informed that I could not use my rehearsal material but needed to find something "fresh". So on short notice we attacked "The Deathbed of Benedict Arnold". It would be my first time on a bare stage - no microphone - and I was the lead speaker. With knees knocking I beat up on Benedict and I remember hissing the word "TRAITOR" and then retired to the wings with tepid applause (a sitting ovation it was not). And I let the drama boys do their thing. Little did I know that thirty years later that experience helped me address any size audience. May each of you find someone in your life to nudge you beyond your self imposed limits.
tjs

No comments:

Post a Comment