Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Fickle Fashion


During the recent World Cup games, England's team manager sported a vest (some Brits call it a waistcoat). As the team kept winning he kept showing off his attire while pacing the sidelines. When they didn't win it all, I guess he finally sent it to the cleaners. But now I read that the rage in Manhattan and Palo Alto is the grey fleece vest, zippered up the front, and sported by execs and interns. Fleece comes from either the ewe or the llama and the breeders must be working overtime to shear them to meet the demand. This uniform arrives several centuries late as Brooks Bros. adopted the Golden Fleece lamb as their logo mid-nineteenth century. When I moved to New York in mid-1970s I tried to reintroduce the straw boater but it didn't catch on. Timing is everything. Anyway, the mantra I hear is "If you are well vested, you won't get fleeced." Good advice but check your 401k.
tjs

1 comment: