Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Memorable Moments

I was recalling my first attendance ever at an opera at Lincoln Center in Manhattan. I was hosting clients and made the mistake of having dinner before the performance.  Opera music can sometimes be slow and sleep inducing and I was having a difficult time staying awake. Then from the wings came Fernando Bujones flying across the stage in his tights.  He leaped and twirled and I realized that this guy was a superb athlete. I lost my lethargy at that moment although I haven't been back to the Met since.

Again I found myself entertaining clients at a performance of "Hello, Dolly!" with original cast starring Carol Channing. She has a very unique voice and after curtain calls she came down to the footlights to talk to the audience for several minutes and no one  left their seats despite the usual rush to the exits to grab a scarce taxi in Manhattan.

"My Fair Lady" was perhaps my all-time favorite musical. The English actor Stanley Holloway plays a supporting role as Alfred P. Doolittle, father of Eliza. But midway in the show he does his signature number "Get me to the Church on time." He stopped the show and was called back for several encores.
He reprised the role in the movie and again it was a stellar performance from this old pro from the English music halls.
I hope each of you has the opportunity to experience such serendipity in your lifetime.
tjs

No comments:

Post a Comment