Friday, September 30, 2011

An American Icon

CBS has announced that the old warhorse, Andy Rooney, will be hanging up his spikes and glove at age 92 after 33 years and 1097 essays on "60 Minutes". His last appearance will be this Sunday, October 2nd at 7:00PM EDT (or at the conclusion of NFL football). He was a war correspondent during WWII and wrote for "Stars & Stripes". He started in TV in 1949 with Arthur Godfrey and progressed on to CBS in various writing and producing capacities. Wikipedia has a complete write up on him.  He has sometimes been described as a curmudgeon but I would like to call him a "codger" the description of which I have always liked i.e. "White hair conveys  a certain majesty - a touch of thickness around the waist connotes substance - and being a bit crotchety speaks of experience." With his slot open I was thinking of auditioning but I would need time to let my eyebrows get bushier. Meanwhile, watch for his swan song on Sunday evening - I hope they give him more than the usual three minutes. I wouldn't miss it!
tjs
Next - TBA (Mon.)

No comments:

Post a Comment