Monday, September 19, 2011

Passing Grades

Last week Rick Perry was revealing the poor marks he received in school - many Cs and Ds. It struck a compassionate chord with me. The only "D" I ever recall "earning" was in freshman Typing class. They let us use Smith Corona and Underwood units but I don't recall they trusted us with Remingtons. One frustrated lad held a typewriter out the window one day and the Christian Brother went apoplectic. They proceeded to teach us the keyboard makeup, where to place the fingers and NOT to look at the keys. But I couldn't take my eyes off the keys so I couldn't do the thirty words per minute they required - so there went my secretarial career.  There was one interesting drill "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog." This phrase included all twenty-six letters of the alphabet and gave all ten fingers a workout. But here I sit six decades later still pecking with two fingers while that energetic fox keeps jumping over that lazy dog.
tjs
Next - Bermuda

No comments:

Post a Comment