Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A Change of Venue

Some years ago when I was living in Philadelphia I visited a friend in Queens, New York. His father was a Lieutenant on the N.Y. police force with responsibility for the area around Fifth Avenue and St. Patrick's Cathedral - quite a busy area.  My friend and I decided to visit the Aqueduct race track in an effort to improve the breed. While there - among forty thousand fans - I recognized a neighbor from my home town who lived across the street. On returning home I remarked to the policeman parent of the coincidence. He asked only one question "Was your neighbor a banker?" I replied, "Why, yes, how did you guess?" He said that bankers never gamble or visit tracks in their home towns - it wouldn't look good.  Such is the mind set and the thinking process of an experienced policeman. Now not all gamblers are bankers and, thankfully, not all bankers are horse players.
tjs
Next - Did you know?

1 comment:

  1. interesting post. given what has happened in the financial markets (subprime loans, for example), one might argue that many bankers are, in fact, gamblers

    ReplyDelete