Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloweens Past

This year we only had four groups knocking on the door - all accompanied by parents. But when I was growing up  we were on our own. The night before Halloween was mischief night - some people soaped windows - the worst infraction I had was tossing hard corn at windows and then the next night asking the same neighbors for "treats". We always made a beeline for the Spreckley residence - the husband was sales manager for Wrigley Chewing Gum which because of WWII was unavailable over the counter.
 Except that Mrs.Spreckley would insist that we perform to receive treats. My mother had taught me the Lord's Prayer in Gaelic (phonetically) which I volunteered to applause and a pack of spearmint. My Gaelic was as bad as my Latin but who knew back then. It was a Hallowed Evening.
tjs
Next - Alone in the Crowd

No comments:

Post a Comment