Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Elocution


Over the weekend Penn State removed Joe Paterno's statue from its campus location. In the NY Times Maureen Dowd harshly compared him to Faust selling his soul to the devil. I searched for another analogy. Many years ago when I was in high school a Christian Brother who I respected encouraged me to enter an elocution contest which would be my first attempt at such an endeavor. He rehearsed me one on one as I memorized Mark Antony's funeral oration for Julius Caesar which memory serves me as follows: Friends, Romans and countrymen - lend me your ears. I come to bury Caesar - not to praise him. The evil that men do lives after them - the good is oft interred in their bones. So let it be with Caesar.......No doubt Paterno did much good in his early career but he was done in by a serious error in judgement at the end. So let it be with JoePa........
tjs
Next - Olympic Torch

No comments:

Post a Comment