Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Quirks & Tics


A fellow I dealt with some years ago frequently prefaced his remarks with "the fact of the matter is". I always thought it was a peculiar locution.
My pastor - from the pulpit - often wound up with "and as a consequence therefore".
I had a Latin teacher who ended his lecture with "and thereby hangs a tale (or tail)."
Our Canadian friends often end with the syllable "eh" - The Irish have a tendency to finish on an uptick - and we Philadelphians were once accused of "slurring our dipthongs" - I never knew!
A certain British TV interviewer constantly adds on the word "indeed" for unnecessary emphasis.
Personally, I have battled the word "like" - but it crops back up in f-book.
I have had less luck with "you know" for which I blame the Europeans but at least I am not using it for punctuation. Try stamping out that one!
tjs
Next - Lighter than air.

No comments:

Post a Comment