Thursday, January 17, 2013

Boola Boola


The earth shifted the other day. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas spoke during a hearing for the first time in seven years. But witnesses say it was only to tell a joke - the butt of which was his alma mater Yale Law School. Picking on Yale reminded me of a story I wrote in my memoir "The Eagle Blue Chronicles". Circa 1960s my boss in Philadelphia was being kicked upstairs to the New York office and we gave him a departure dinner and I was assigned to introduce him to the assembly. I related how he first arrived in our industry by answering an ad in the newspaper which read something like the following: "Wanted! Young person, energetic, industrious and aggressive willing to learn and advance in an exciting industry. Applicant must be a Yale graduate or the equivalent."
My boss had gone to Princeton and replied as follows: "By the equivalent of a Yale grad do you mean two Harvard men or a Princeton man working part time?" When the laughter subsided - and since he was no longer my boss I added ..."Fred got the job and he's been working part time ever since."
tjs
(I like this story because it is transferable to any campus of your choice.)
Next -Penguins

No comments:

Post a Comment