Monday, January 28, 2013

Turning the Tables


While Friday's snow had me confined I thought I would change the music on the CD turntable - remove the Christmas carols and insert some old favorites. Yes, with my old LPs on the shelf I am in a CD world - no IPod - no earphones. I would not foist my music tastes on anyone but here are my five selections to spin: Dinah Washington - Cole Porter - Django Reinhardt - Richard Evans - Benny Goodman - somewhat eclectic but great stuff.
Hear Dinah on "What a Difference a Day makes"  with the lyric "it's heaven when you -  find romance on your menu" And her impeccable phrasing for 4:16 on "Manhattan" with a flute background is a classic.  I'm sure these are available on Utube or Amazon if you care to sample.
As an aside when Geoge Plimpton wrote "Paper Lion" he spent the summer of 1960 with the Detroit Lions training camp. Their star defensive halfback was Dick "NightTrain" Lane who was married to Dinah Washington and played her records constantly in camp.
Another classic to consider might be Cole Porter's "Begin the Beguine" recorded by Artie Shaw Orchestra in July 1938 - a time when the big bands were in vogue.
CDs you say? But better than cranking the handle on the old Victrola that we had in the basement growing up.
tjs
Next - Press Conferences

No comments:

Post a Comment