Friday, March 8, 2013

Daylight Saving Time


This weekend we spring forward again - it seems to get earlier each year - with most of the year on daylight time. Dark mornings with children on the corner waiting for the school bus. The deer crossing the road thinks it is 6:00AM but the speeding commuter thinks it is 7:00AM - so watch out, Bambi! Are we really saving energy? Clocks to be changed - Nuke - stove oven - coffee pot - four clock radios - wall clock - wrist watch - auto dashboard - voice mail and the sun dial in the garden is all confused. I understand that Russia has nine time zones. Think what it would do if one zone forgets to switch over - airplanes would be arriving before they depart. Some years ago I arrived at the Philadelphia Airport early on a Sunday morning about this time of year  to find that the only flight that day had already departed due to a timetable snafu i.e. "Daylight Saving Time". The PANAM rep was closing shop and not happy to see me. He offered to rebook me out of New York later that day. When I asked how would I get to New York he suggested the Pennsylvania Railroad! I almost flipped! We "negotiated" and he found a shuttle up to JFK and I was on my way. As you can see I am a biased witness as to DST. I wonder what Andy Rooney would say?
tjs
Next - TBA (Mon.)

No comments:

Post a Comment