Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Let'em Eat Cake


Last Sunday, July 14th was Bastille Day commemorating the French Revolution. If I were in Cape May N.J. I would have run the tri-color up the flag pole beneath the Stars and Stripes.My first trip to Paris was in 1964 on a Thomas Cook tour and I hit all the tourists spots. (I opted out of the "sewer tour". But fifteen years later I was back there on company business and they put me up in the Meurice Hotel which I learned had been the Nazis' headquarters during WWII. Hitler had ordered the city to be torched but his officer corps were enjoying the fruits (and vines) of this fabulous city from 1940/1944 and dragged their feet and Paris was preserved.  LeHavre was our port of call for the cargo ships and also for the fortnightly visits of the S.S. UNITED STATES from 1952 to 1969. At the entrance to the breakwater there were the remnants of a German U-Boat "pen." Check the movie CASABLANCA for a stirring rendition of the French national anthem "La Marseillaise" or on You Tube.
tjs
Next -Brevity, brevity.

No comments:

Post a Comment