Thursday, March 13, 2014

Men of the Cloth


I may have mentioned my priest friend, Fr. Tom W. who was designated Catholic Chaplain of the Port of Philadelphia circa 1950s/1960s. He was assigned to a waterfront parish and ministered to both seamen and longshoremen down on the docks. One of his extra-clerical duties was to act as arbiter for the Mummers String Band Division wherein they would all clear their themes with him to avoid duplication. When he wasn't otherwise occupied, he occasionally visited sick parishioners in the hospital. One such day he arrived at the hospital in full clerical garb with a full Roman collar. The elevators back then were manually operated and as his lift ascended the operator turned to him smiling and said "Reverend, I'se the same as you is except I works during the week."
I feel sure Fr. Tom blessed the man on the way out. Just two men of the cloth complimenting each other.
tjs

No comments:

Post a Comment