Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Hawaii Calls


My son and his new wife honeymooned in Maui, Hawaii and for the first six days we did not hear from them which is not unusual for honeymooners and when you consider that the Hawaiian alphabet only has thirteen letters  he really did not have an opportunity to say much. Fifty years ago I was in Honolulu standing below the Aloha Tower preparatory to sailing back to the "mainland" on Matson Line's SS LURLINE. It was BOAT DAY. The Royal Hawaiian Band in their starchy white uniforms were playing island music and a "bloody Mary" type singer was on the mike and there was not a dry eye to be seen. The practice back then was to hurl your flower lei on the water as the ship rounded Diamondhead with a vow to return. While I never did get back I am happy that my son had his opportunity to visit this island paradise. Aloha!
tjs
Next - TBA

3 comments:

  1. I like the sound of that -- "new wife." Still getting used to it. Maui was more beautiful than I could possibly imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. paradise indeed! most beautiful place i've ever been

    ReplyDelete
  3. 40 years ago this week, Paddy Aler and I vacationed in Honolulu. Didn’t make it to Maui but was certainly a great trip!

    ReplyDelete