Friday, May 4, 2012

Texas


We are flying to Houston, Texas next week for a family wedding. This will be my first visit to the Lone Star State. The city is named for that great soldier and statesman, Sam Houston. Down there I believe they pronounce it "hewstun" while in Manhattan the street bordering Soho is called "howstun" - different vowels for different folks. My previous employer still has operations in that port and an earlier employer, U.S. Lines used to call their vessels at Houston, Galveston, Baytown, Corpus Christi along the Texas coast, so I should have friends there if I ever need to make bail. The visit should also ease my curiosity whether a ten gallon hat really holds ten gallons or has there been any shrinkage along with the economy. I will be out of circulation before and after Mother's Day so this is my reminder to remember Mama be she living or deceased.
tjs
Next-TBA

No comments:

Post a Comment