Monday, September 17, 2012

Class Reunion


In a few weeks I expect to attend my 65th high school reunion. I am anxious to see how many show up and are still ambulatory. In September 1943, with WWII having emptied the colleges, our high school entrance class was about 200 - all boys - and after eight years with the good nuns we were now exposed to the Christian Brothers. Freshman Algebra was taught by Brother Eugene who could be ornery and had a wooden clicker that he could use on your knuckles. Most of us feared him.
We were in a classroom with tall windows that opened from the top using a window pole. Early September was balmy and the instructor directed the boy on the aisle to lower the window. There was no response. The unfortunate lad we will call John Noce (no-cee). Again we heard "Boy, lower that window!" Again no action. Then "Son, what's your name?" Answer - "Noce, Brother" And the teacher then said "And you don't hear too well either, do you?" After seventy years I wonder if I will see friend Noce again and check his knuckles.
tjs
Next - A Matter of Taste II

1 comment:

  1. Have fun at the reunion! My 10 year high school reunion is over Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete