Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Floors, Please?


The other day I attended a reception at a conference center in a leafy suburb. After entering at street level I was directed to go DOWN to the reception area. The last time I took an elevator DOWN to my room was at the Hilton Hotel in Port of Spain, Trinidad. It was built on the side of a hill and they called it the "Upside down Hilton". I was there on holiday and scheduled to depart the day before the steel bands would be rehearsing for the Carnival Parade. The kind PANAM representative said it would be a shame to miss this activity and offered to put me up in their guest house overnight and fly out the following day. And so it was - the ESSO steel band and a dozen of its competitors - cavorting in the hot sun - with a bit of stimulation from Demon Rum - it was quite a sight to see and hear. And this was only the rehearsal! Esso is now Exxon and Panam is no longer with us but I can still hear echoes of the Caribbean. When serendipity comes your way grasp it and hold on  - you won't regret it.
tjs
Next - Currency Exchange

1 comment:

  1. I have been at that hotel also and the parade grounds was also used as a cricket stadium. Great memories.

    ReplyDelete