Monday, September 24, 2012

The Balcony Scene


When I was promoted from Philadelphia to New York in 1975  - though it was only ninety miles - it was a world away with a dose of culture shock. Back then there was no such thing as Human Resources so I was on my own to move and find housing. Through a friend's referral I found a one bedroom rental apartment in Westchester County in a high rise overlooking the Hudson River and the Palisades. It was on the eighth (top) floor with a balcony and the sunsets were breathtaking. One day I received a phone call at work from the building manager. He said "When you come home tonight don't open your sliding glass doors to your balcony. A section of the roof border dislodged and took your balcony down with it." Very sobering words. Had it been a weekend it might have taken me down with it also. Returning home that night - sure enough - my balcony was gone with several flower pots and small furniture. Fortunately, no one was injured down below on the tarmac. There then ensued consultations with engineers, lawyers, insurance underwriters et al and the issue dragged on for weeks - I believe at reduced rental. As I was to be married in a few months I had to raise the awareness of these folks as I did not want to bring my bride back to this scenario. By and by they got repairs done and I had a new stronger balcony but now the issue was concrete dust. They offered artificial turf if I promised not to tell the neighbors. So in the nick of time I carried my bride across the threshold but it was hardly a balcony scene from Romeo and Juliet.
tjs
Next - The Vesper Club

No comments:

Post a Comment