Wednesday, November 28, 2012

A Cross Word


The N.Y. Times Crossword Puzzle occasionally resorts to puns. A clue on 11/22/12 puzzle read "Evidence of longshoremen without antiperspirant?" (nine letters) - After much "sweating" I found the answer as "B.O. on docks" or Boondocks. Now, I have come in contact with many longshoremen over the years and fastidiousness was not in their lexicon. When I was a gofer - circa 1950 - I was sent aboard one of our vessels to deliver a message to the Bosun (boatswain). In those days the crew numbered fifty with all the unlicensed members billeted forward in the forecastle - four to a room with maybe one porthole for ventilation.  When I wandered into that area the aroma that hit me could never be quelched with antiperspirant. And after sixty-two years I can still recall the experience. Please pass the Old Spice.
tjs
Next - TBA

1 comment: